Wednesday, April 22, 2009

what does "church" mean?

A few weeks ago a friend of mine was visiting from Australia. His name is Dave Andrews, and he has been a huge influence on me, and my ministry for many many years now. During a discussion he was part of he gave a definition of what the church is that I really liked, now I will most likely get this a little bit wrong, but the jist of it was:

the church is a group of people committed to helping each other detox from their addictions to the ways of the world

I wish church was more about people being committed to each other. More about being serious about breaking free from a lifestyle that is oppressive both to ourselves and others. Dealing with our addictions to power, money and stuff. And learning to live in a healthy, sustainable, and loving way that is by its very nature an indictment on our culture.

rev

No comments: